Swiss Days 5 K a family tradition.....
Me, Gretchen, and Lainee
The past four years, we have made it a tradition to run the Swiss Days 5K. It is our version of a marathon! We have alot of fun and have brought others into the fold....like Lainee Frei! She loved it and she did great for her first time! I tried to keep up with her and Gretchen, but I got behind on the last mile and they beat me by 100 yards or so! Dang it! This year, the best part of the race was Heidi Dahl's BET with Lonne on who could get the best time. Heidi is a friend of ours, and she is such a little spit fire! She has seriously been training all year to beat Lonne! She is an avid runner, she has run 1/2 marathons and lots of races this last year. Lonne on the other hand, does not run. Well, he runs sometimes, but never competitively! Anyway, it was an all out war! Heidi was talkin trash all year, and wanted to get the TV station and the Spectrum there to witness her win. She told us she was going to be a Ghost Runner, and that Lonne wouldn't know where she was until the very end and she would kick his butt!! She had her husband run along side her with his watch, making sure she was on track with her time. He wasn't even in the race!! He was her trainer! Anyway, to make a long story short, at the end of the race she was fretting and stomping around, trying to find out Lonne's time. They didn't know which one of them came in first! So when the times were printed she was up there at that table shouting out Lonne's name, so they would give her his paper. It was hilarious! Some guy grabbed the time and gave it to Lonne without Heidi seeing him. So Lonne waited for the right moment and went and grabbed her and rubbed it in her face! He beat her by 2 minutes! He was not going to let a woman beat him!!! He's WAY too competitive for that!!! Their Race WAR made the race twice as fun! Sorry Heidi....do ya still want to call the Specctrum??
This is a pic of when Lonne grabbed Heidi to give her the bad news!
Shan and Lonne after winning their medals
They both took third place in their age groups
This is a pic of all the Gublers who ran the race with Grandma and Grandpa
All the Medal winners..Shan, Shandon, Talli, Nancy, and Lonne
This week, while Heidi was training for the race, Lonne was in Canada Goose Hunting!
He had a great time and got home just in time to run with the family!
This is the Family at the Dixie Round Up Rodeo. We go to the rodeo every year....all three nights! Cam rode a sheep this year and loved it! I would dare say I have been to the
rodeo every year since 1970 when I moved to St. George. It was always such a BIG DEAL when I was a kid, and since I am ALL about keeping traditons, Lonne loves rodeo, and we both believe in supporting the local activities, we have kept the Lions Dixie Round Up as a tradition in our family!! I remember going to the parades as a kid, the Lions Club guys would always be in the intersection of Main Street and St. George Blvd. selling tickets and if you didn't buy one, they would put you in a dunking machine! We dressed in our cowboy attire on Friday of the rodeo....EVERYONE dressed up. I rode in the Beauty Parade (in a swiming suit! ha!) when I was a Junior in High School representing the Bloomington Royalty. I rode on Lonne's sister, Cami's blue Camaro! OOOooohhh, wasn't that cool??? I still LOVE the rodeo! SO many memories!!
3 comments:
Great Post Nancy! The race was so fun, I can't wait to do it again! Congrats Lonne on the big win!
Is that Doug Dahl's wife? I think they are really good friends with Adam's brother. Post the picture of you on Cami's Camaro!
Looks so fun Nancy! We were bummed to miss Swiss Days this year but will be there next year for sure. Fun to see so many runners!
Post a Comment