Monday, June 20, 2011

 Have you ever tasted a Persimmon?  My mom makes Perrsimmon pudding at Christmas time.
It is a family tradition from WAY back, I think! I remember it was always a challenge to find good ripe Persimmons during the holidays.  We also have Persimmom Jello at Thanksgiving....but I have never eaten a Persimmon... plain!  I always thought they puckered up your mouth if you ate them plain!
Persimmons grow here....they're everywhere!  Someone gave us a slice Persimmon the other day....
YUMMMMM!
It was sooo good!  It tastes kind of like a melon, kind of like a kiwi, kind of like a Mango all mixed together.  We have been eating them like crazy! I keep forgetting to ask my mom why we never just sliced them up and ate them as a fruit??? Can anyone answer this for me?  Are Persimmons different in the states?  I've gotta learn how to make Persimmon Pudding!
 We've been CRAVING a taco!!! There is NO Mexican food here....anywhere!!
I finally found some cilantro the other day at the store...it is called coriander over here.
I made some yummy salsa...we found some plain chips (hard to find), and all the ingredients for tacos.
Oh my gosh! They tasted sooooooooo good! I have never appreciated a taco so much in my life!

We didn't even realize that Sunday was Father's Day!! They don't celebrate it in June over here, and we just sort of forgot about it! We got phone calls from the kids and packages in the mail...but we felt pretty bad because we didn't send out cards or packages!! Aaaahhhh! Sorry Dad and Sons!!
We lose all track of time over here!  It's crazy!!
We invited Elder Fiu and Elder Cannon over for Tacos....Elder Fiu had NEVER tasted a taco!
He had never even HEARD of a taco! He's from Samoa...I'm tellin' ya, they don't have mexican food in the islands!! They don't know what they're missing!
 Salsa
 (after we ate most of it! ha!)
 Elder Fiu eating his first taco! He ate four or five of them!
 Elder Cannon serving up
(notice the nice serving dishes at our apartment! Ha!)


P-Day
 We took the Elders on a hike/run up Kaiti Hill again this week.  Elder Cannon hadn't been up there yet, so we had to show him the view.  We had alot of fun
 Elder Cannon, Elder Jenkins, Lonne and Me
We are all wearing our winter white (skin) Ahhhh! 
 The Elders at the top of Kaiti Hill
Elders Cannon, Fiu, Keyes and Jenkins
 Lonne playing on the swings with the boys!

It rains so hard here!!! This is the most recent rain storm...we couldn't even see!  This picture is taken from inside our car.  It rained like this for 5 hours straight! It's crazy! No wonder it's so green over here!

3 comments:

Jennifer L said...

How funny about the persimmons. I'm sure we never ate them because in the states you can't find a good enough one to eat!! It makes me want to make persimmon jello and pudding too. Yum!! So glad you found the stuff to make tacos. I'm glad Elder Fiu got to experience a little Mexican food. Looks so fun. So glad you guys enjoying yourselves. You make it look so fun!!! Love you so much.

Anonymous said...

Still being Betty Crocker aren't you ha ha I used to have to send Austin taco shells when he was in OZ - they don't have them there either. Love and miss you !!

Lexie said...

I'm sure Elder Fiu was in heaven with your tacos! That salsa looks so yummy right now! I need to get some salsa stuff. :) I also want to eat a good persimmon. YUM!