Gretchen, Dave and the kids drove up on Saturday to spend a few hours with us, go out to dinner and say our final good-byes. I was sooooo happy to see my family!
You have no idea how RARE the picture is below.
Sadie never smiles for pictures...and she never lets Grandpa hold her!
Priceless!
But all the smiles soon turned to tears as it came time to say good-bye!
It was gut-wrenching!
I couldn't quit kissing on my kids...
and smelling their skin...
We finally just had to say good-bye.
Good-bye my cute little Sadie, my beautiful Abbie, and my sweetheart Cam.
Grandma and Grandpa are trying to set a good example for all of you.
We love you and will miss you more than you will ever know.
More MTC...
Above: This is the couple we roll played with in one of our classes. We had to pretend we were a less active couple and they were suppose to try to convert us to come back to church.
They are newlyweds...both of them lost their spouses a couple of years ago.
Their story was so sweet...we both cried as they told us how they met and got together.
Above: This was the first couple we met in the MTC. He is Clark Reber with roots in Santa Clara. We figured out that he and Lonne are cousins. They are headed to Italy on a military mission. We had alot of fun with them, and hope to see them in a couple of years!
The story behind this picture...
When Gretchen and Dave arrived at the MTC to say their goodbyes,
they were carrying this black case.
My mother had called them on her way out of town and told them that a lady in her ward (Janet) had asked if they could give it to us to take to New Zealand. It was a trumpet for her non-member niece in Auckland. My mom and Janet were so excited that we would be able to have our first "Contact"! Gretchen knew we wouldn't have room for the dang trumpet,
but my mom wasn't taking NO for an answer!
NOTE: We were each allowed 2 suitcases weighing no more than 50 lbs a piece.
The trumpet weighed at least 10 lbs and the case was HUGE!
Seriously...did they really think we were going to fit that thing in one of our suitcases? Anyway... I stressed about it for two days! Lonne didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings so he said we would just have to pay the money to check it on the plane as an extra bag. Well...we looked it up and it was going to cost $200! I called my mom and told her it just wasn't going to work! She wouldn't give it up...she asked if we could take it out of the case and wrap it up in our clothes.
What part of this did she not understand???
We had strategically packed each suitcase to stay under under 50 lbs!
Well, we didnt have to be the bad guys after all!
That evening at our "Departure Devotional" they told us that "under no circumstances" could we take anything to people in another country!!!
Problem solved!
My mom called Janet and they made arrangements for someone to pick it up at the MTC.
So Lonne carried the trumpet to the front desk...
I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders...
about ten pounds as a matter of fact...
And it left in the form of a trumpet!



8 comments:
haha that dang Trumpet! gotta love it. Love that you took all the pictures. :) I love the pictures of you with Gretch and Dave and the fam. So cute! You are really being the best example to our kids and us. We love you!
Sisterrrrr- Mom is here with me in Las Vegas... and we LOVED your story about the trumpet!!!! We both laughed so hard!!!!
We are really looking forward to hearing about all your adventures these next 18 months. Mom has been anxiously awaiting to hear that you got to New Zealand safely, etc. She has been checking emails, facebook, and this blog for a couple days!
Love you xoxo Laura and Mom
That is quite the trumpet! To funny! I can't even imagine trying to pack for 18 months in 2 suitcases 50 lbs or less... that would be hard. Glad you made it to New Zealand!
That Trumpet story was Stinkin' FUNNY!!!!!! hahaha Love all the pictures of saying Good bye! I wish we could have seen you one more time but it was good to get the good bye over with a month ago. We can't wait to see more pictures. Especially of NZ. I can only imagine how beautiful it is!!!!!!! Love you and can't wait to hear how it's going!!!!!!!!!!!
Love the trumpet story! We all know how mom can get! When she said"I just have a good feeling about it" I knew you would fall under pressure. Ha. so fun to see you in pictures with your kids and the Reber's and the cute couple who just got married. They all look like they could be your parents! You two are so cute with ALL ages though, I can just see you being friends with everyone. Miss you and hope are doing well.
The trumpet story is priceless!! The pictures of your kids are the best! Glad they got to see you one more time before you left! Cool that Lonne and the Rebers are related!! Love that! Be safe!!! Thanks for the updates!!! We all look forward to them.
Oh yea! Another post!! This one had me crying and laughing! I hate to even look at the pictures of the goodbyes! That was a sad moment! My poor Cam just a crying...that broke my heart. The TRUMPET!! I am so glad you documented this!! Hilarious! That was so funny! Haha! Grandma...she is a funny girl. It was a nice thought! Ha! Hope all is well! Keep the updates coming...one a day!!!
The trumpet story was hilarious! I can just see you trying to figure out a way to get it there and not hurt your mom's feelings. I loved all your pictures with the grand kids but they about broke my heart. Glad that part it over and you can just move on and know that everyday is one day closer to seeing them again. I miss you!
Post a Comment