Monday, February 14, 2011

More of our adventures....

Sunday, February 13th
We attended the first ward today.  It was fun to meet new people. We got a big list of names from the Relief Society President and Bishop.  We will start visiting all the people on Tuesday. We're excited to meet more people, and see what we can do to help them get re-activated. The Elders came over to our apartment for dinner after church.  My little kitchen doesn't have all the supplies I need for cooking, so it was pretty simple, but good.  Elder Tautitauki and Elder Burton are both pretty new to the area.  Elder Burton has been out for 16 months, but Elder T. has only been out for one month.  

Monday, February 14th (Valentines Day) and P-Day!
We started our day off with a walk and run up Kaiti Hill...challenging, but beautiful! We pass by the harbor to get to the hill.  If you look in the background of the picture above, you can see our Apartments (hotel) it is the farthest building in the middle of the picture.
On our way up the hill, Lonne found an opportunity to do a few pull-ups!
He likes to prove to me that he still has it in him!

This picture shows the port and the river.  Our Apartment is on the far left...

This is just another view...now our apartment is on the right...this just gives you a view of how the river goes right in to the ocean behind our apartment.

This is a War memorial about halfway up the hill...it's all lit up at night.  
You can see it from everywhere in the city.

Just a map of the area....We live right where it says Turangani River

Captain Cook's Statue...Captain Cook was the Britain who discovered New Zealand when sailing across the sea...kind of like Christopher Columbus for us.  They fought with the Maori's for the land.

Just another view of the Bay...a fisherman is out on a calm day.

And we ran some more....
(Lonne took about 20 pictures of me running)

Headed back down Kaiti Hill...it's really beautiful! It was HOT on Monday!! We were dripping wet!

And we keep running till we cross the bridge back over to our apartment!!
(Silly Lon, he was a little camera happy!)

A bunch of Maori children and teen-agers trying to cool off by jumping off the bridges into the river when the tide was up.  It was higher than it looks in the picture!
Kayaking is HUGE here.  It was a perfect day for it!

Another view of the kids jumping into the river...

This is the walking trail that leads from the beach clear up through town along the river.  
We have been running every morning before we study and head out for the day.  
The weather has been perfect in the mornings.

Lonne LOVED this "Morotcycle"!! 

Some of the older buildings on Main street in Gisborne.


We walked up to Main Street to buy a few supplies, and Lonne stopped at a florist shop to buy me a rose for Valentines Day.  I didn't have a vase so it's in a glass on our table.  I loved it!

We had a Valentines Dinner at the restaurant next to our Apartment. 
Then we went for a walk along the beach right by our place.  
It was a BEAUTIFUL evening...the tide was out, and the waters were soooo calm! 

A nice lady offered to take a picture of us...
It felt so good to have on normal clothes for a day!! Ha!

When we left on our mission, our little Abbie asked us to send her some sea shells..
.Lonne was finding her some shells, so we can send them to her this week! 
There's lots of shells, but not much of a variety.

We ended the evening with a bowl of "Hokey Pokey" ice-cream with bananas on it.  Hokey Pokey is the Maori favorite.  It is a really creamy vanilla ice cream with bits of honey comb in it
 (kind of like the honey candy that we make) It is to DIE FOR!!! 
Tuesday Morning...
Back at work!  Missionary training meeting at 10:00 a.m. at the Stake Center.
These boys do a great job!  They are teaching us so much!
The two boys in the red ties are serving in a town about 2 hours south of Gisborne.  
They travel up every Tuesday for this meeting.  We will be going down to their area this week. 




I'm just a bit out-numbered, wouldn't you say?

Uh-Oh....This little bakery is right by the stake center! We discovered it today!
Oh my GOSH!! We are in deep trouble! SOOOOOO yummy! SOOOOOO fattening!
We decided that from now on, when we go to the meeting with the Elders on Tuesday mornings,
Elder and Sister Gubler will be bringing treats from The Cake Kitchen!!

14 comments:

Sherie said...

I love the posts Nancy! Crazy that you are completely a day ahead of us! It's beautiful where you are...THIS is the New Zealand I want to visit! Keep up the great work!

Jennifer L said...

Beautiful pictures and scenery. So interesting to read about you guys. You look like you are having fun! You make it look like a vacation! Love and miss you-

Lexie said...

I love every new post. Looks like so much fun! I want to jump into the river off the bridge too. ha it looks fun.

LeAnn said...

I love all your pictures! It is so beautiful there. Are you sure this is a mission or are you really just on a vacation? Looks Fun!

Nancy said...

Oh, believe me, it's a mission! Ha! These pictures are on P-day! We don't get to play very often....but when we do, we do it right!

Anonymous said...

I wish it was warm enough here to jump into the river! Looks like fun! I would be afraid of sharks! eeks! It seems like you have lots of little treat stands. I could go for a yummy dessert right now! Yum! Have one for me! The missionaries all look like they just love you guys! I can't believe you are on a mission! It is still crazy to me to think that your not at home right now! Love all the new posts!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy and Lonne,
It is so fun to see your pictures and read about the experiences you are having. Thanks for sharing. It sounds as though you are having a great time. It feels like you are on vacation but a really long one. Keep up the good spirits. Love and miss you.

Debbie Parker said...

Hi Nancy & Lonne,
I can't believe how fun it is to get updates so often. You are the best at details and the pictures are awesome!!! Love you tons, Debbie & Danny

sue gubler said...

Lonne & Nancy! I want to come and serve with you! What a great place to be! We are so happy for you! Love, Sue and Fam

the glendenning family said...

Looks like you are making the most of everything you are doing! Great job! Love the Chelsi run t-shirt!

Melanie Spendlove said...

What a great post! It must really be tough to celebrate Valentine's Day in a such a beautiful place with your wonderful husband. Love the pictures at the beach...love them all. Looks like you two are having an amazing time...I think it's awesome how you find all the good food places. You should see if you can get some of the receipes to bring home. Wouldn't that be awesome. Again, love the posts. Waiting for the next one!!! Love you guys!!!

Unknown said...

After viewing your pictures and reading your blog, one of the gals in our branch said it looks like you're more on a honeymoon than a mission!!!

Heidi said...

I love your blog and emails! I look forward to reading them and seeing pictures. It is so pretty there! Sounds like you're getting more in to the swing of things. The people there are sure lucky to have you guys! I just told my friend Latanya to check your blog. Her family is from New Zealand!

Gretchen said...

Oh I LOVE the new post!! I LOVE all of the scenery in these pictures!! I LOVE to see you out running...thanks dad for the pictures!! I LOVE to see the missionaries that you are serving with!! I LOVE that you are keeping us sooo updated! I LOVE your black shoes :) !! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything!!

I didn't realize ho big Gisborne is!! It is like a real town! I was thinking it was WAY rural...kind of out in the sticks, tiny houses, more spread apart, but from the looks of your pictures from up on the hill, it is quite big!! MMMMM, the Cake Kitchen looks Scruptious! I want one, (as Buddy the ELF would say!).

So happy to see the new pictures! Keep them coming! I LOVE them! and, I LOVE you guys!! Hope all is well!