Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More of Week One

We are having so much fun, exploring the area around Gisborne! It is so beautiful here! So many different kinds of terrain and beautiful everywhere you look!
 On P-Day, we went for a little drive.  The above beach is called "Sponge Beach" it is about 3 miles north of Gisborne.  The Gisborne area is known for its clay cliffs.  
Another view of Sponge Beach...Our apartment is right around the point behind us (Poverty Bay)



 There are farms and ranches everywhere you look.  I thought this was a good view of what the farms look like.  There is an orchard above....notice the wall of poplar trees to provide a wind break.  Every farm has a wind break hedge.  They are about 30 feet high.  The vineyards are surrounded by hedges on all sides.  In the back ground, you can see what the hills in Gisborne look like.  They remind me of my home town of Walnut Creek, California.
All of the hills used to be covered with pines,
 but they have logged them off, and have re-planted them in some areas.  
This is view of what the logged areas look like.



 We were surprised at how many corn fields there are here!  I feel like we're in Iowa (only it's ALOT prettier here! ha!) The farms are beautiful!  These farms are about 5 miles south of Gisborne.



 We went out teaching for the first time on Thursday, February 10th.  In the neighborhood called "Kaiti", we stopped for lunch at a little hole in the wall Fish & Chip place.  Fresh fish....and huge portions!!
It was delicious! I think we've found a "regular" lunch stop!! Uh-Oh....if we eat here regularly, we will definitely put on as much weight as President Porter promised us!  We'll have to really watch it!


This is Helen, one of the first ladies we visited.  She was a doll! She was so welcoming, and happy to see us.  She is an excommunicated member.  She was raised in the church, her father was a stake president, she was married in the temple, divorced, and went off the deep end. She is living with "Boy" an ex-gang member, covered in tatts, and very rough.  They have been having the lessons with the Elders, and are working on getting married so she can get re-baptized. 
"Boy" has lots of W of W problems, and will be a little longer, 
but I really feel good about Helen.  She is a recovering alcoholic, with 8 sons.  
She has had a ROUGH few years... she's ready to turn it back around and be happy again. 

10 comments:

Gretchen said...

Oh I LOVE your pictures! It is so fun to have a picture to go with your words...I am so happy for blogs!! You guys looks so cute over there. It is so beautiful! I still can't believe that that is HOME for you now!

I loved getting your LONG email tonight! So fun to hear all about everything you are doing! You sound so great! i am so happy you are out working now, and loving it! You guys are going to be the best missionaries for these people. You can relate to ALL of them...of every age!

I love you!

LeAnn said...

I have to agree with everything Gretch just said. I loved your long detailed email and I love your pictures. I am going to love the next 18 months of sharing your mission with you. Thanks for posting pictures and keeping us informed. You're the Best! It is beautiful over there! Keep up the good work!
Love and miss you!

Melanie Spendlove said...

And I agree with everything Gretchen and LeAnn said as well. It is so fun to get your emails and see you blog. Isn't technology wonderful! The people of New Zealand are so lucky to have Elder and Sister Gubler serving in their area. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with all of us at home. Love to both of you!!!

Anonymous said...

It was fun to ready your e-mail last night and now see pictures of everything we read about! It really does look beautiful over there. We are glad you are loving every minute of it! Just don't forget how you feel about your mission right now. 18 months is a long time and we want you to love every minute of the next 18 months and not forget how lucky and blessed you are and will be for serving the lord. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Love love your updates !! I see you found a Coke.... what about Dr. Pepper? Do they sell it there?
Love and miss you!

Lexie said...

Oh my heck I want some of that fish and chips right now! It looks so good! I love the pictures! Once again...you are so so lucky! Love you SO much!

Phoebe said...

absolutely love all your updates and photos! you two look absolutely great and happy! eric is looking over my shoulder and absolutely salivating over your fish meal:) what a find! you guys are going to help so many people,and we are loving every detail! keep it coming! love you both!

Debbie Parker said...

Love you!!! Thanks for all the updates. . .emails & blog. I love living your mission with you. You guys look awesome!!!!

Unknown said...

Nancy, Your Mom gave me your blog site and I am really enjoying reading about your mission. You two look so happy.......people will not be able to say no to you. Keep up the wonderful work and God bless.
Love you, Barbara Ainge

Nicole said...

On your next fish & chip day, get the gravy. If it is anything like England, you are in for quite the treat...oh, and the pounds. You two look amazing. You're an inspiration to us all. -Kody