Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Our first REAL day as Missionaries

Our first teaching experience was really "eye-opening!" We met the Elders at the home of Kassie and Laken.  They are two kids who have have an auntie who is a member of the church.  Kassie is 16 and has a baby.  Laken is 15.  The elders had taught them in December, so they had already been given a few of the lessons.  We were teaching about the word of wisdom.  I think they totally understood everything we said, and neither of them had a problem with it.  There was a pig and a lamb in the backyard, so the smell was interesting! We taught them out in a make-shift car port with light bulbs hanging all over.  It was so hot and muggy under that tarp!! The elders asked if we could come back again tomorrow. It was fun to finally get a taste of missionary life today!

.
Later in the day, we went to the Stake Center to meet with the bishops, branch presidents, and stake president.  They are going to get us a list of their "top ten" less actives in their wards and branches. The young women were meeting for their activity night.  They all came running over to me, wanting to see pictures of my family.  They all clung to me after church on Sunday...it was so sweet. They wanted to know how I do my hair, how old I was, etc....They can't believe we have married children! It is so funny...everywhere we go, people are absolutely shocked that we are senior missionaries! It makes us feel young, even though we're not!   We also attended the Stop Smoking class.  It was filled with a family....from the parents to the married children.  There were six of them.  They were all recently baptized, but they are all trying to stop smoking.  What a battle!  We all gave them encouragement at the end of class.  I had to lead the music for the first time.  These people sing at the beginning and end of EVERY meeting, whether it's two people or twenty people.  They love music, and they never sing with a piano or organ.  The Maori's all harmonize...it's beautiful.
This is a picture of some of the Young Women and their leader.  The girl on the front row in the orange shirt, and the little girl in the pink shirt are half italian and half Maori. Their eyes are GOLD! They are absolutely beautiful!

The queen of candy found a new favorite treat!!! Pineapple Lumps! They are pineapple flavored marshmallow covered in chocolate.  I've got to send some of these home to my Bunko group! They would love them!!! I have already eaten two bags of them since last Wednesday! We bought a scale yesterday...I haven't dared to step on it yet! I've gotta lay off the Lumps for a couple of days first!!

10 comments:

The Ashtons said...

Aunt Nancy I am so glad you are posting all about New Zealand! It's so exciting to see all your pictures and hear what you've already been doing. This is so awesome! Love you tons!

Melanie Spendlove said...

Love the posts Nancy! Looks like you and Elder Gubler are having a great time...love, love, love the pictures. Don't eat too many Pineapple Lumps :)

Lainee said...

I love your house, car, and the scenery! Love the temple too! It looks so beautiful there.

Anonymous said...

I love checking your blog! Lisa said you guys talked to Elder Ryan Porter. HOW COOL! He was Kirby's trainer. My mom also said she is gonna make Kirby send us some of those Pineapple Lumps, they look delicious!

Anonymous said...

haha sounds like me. All I do lately is eat junk, and I'm afraid its all going to catch up with me! I need to be better at working out! Oh well I guess as long as your happy! hahah Love the new posts and wish we could be there to sit in on a lesson with you! I'm sure you are amazing missionaries and it sounds like the people all admire you! We just can't stop smiling every time we get an e-mail, or read a new blog post. We are so blessed to have such amazing parents! We love you both so so much!

Gretchen said...

OH my gosh...I LOVE seeing these pictures!! I AM so THANKFUL for the internet...and BLOGGING!! You look so cute with all of those little Maori's! They are so cute! The little girl holding on to Kassi's leg in the top picture reminds my of Abbie. Cam saw the picture and said, "Hey that looks like Abbie!" I had already thought so, too! Are Kassie and Laken (Chester) brother and sister? And, is that Kassi's baby that she is holding??

I seriously can't believe that you guys are over there teaching these people! It so so crazy!! I LOVE it! What an adventure!

Those pineapple lumps look YUM! I want to try them!

I LOVE the posts! I am SO HAPPY that you were able to get them on! SO FUN to see!

I miss you guys! Keep up the good work! You are the cutest little missionaries that I have ever seen! Love you!

Andrea said...

I've been reading your blog, and am so happy for you guys! It looks like you are having a ball and are such great missionaries! I knew everyone would love you over there!!! You will be able to connect with so many people and have lots of success! Keep up the great work!

Sherie said...

LOVE it! You two are awesome. Keep up the great work!

Chesley's said...

So awesome to read how you guys are doing! Looks like you guys are having the time of your lives and its awesome you can do it serving the Lord. I am so happy for you two! Keep it up! :)

Jennifer L said...

Heck yes your Bunko group would love the pineapple lumps. They sound yummy! Love the new posts. Sounds and looks like you two are doing great. It's so fun to hear your stories and see the pictures to go with them. Keep up the good work! Love and miss you TONS!