Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pheasants, Turkey, and GOOD times in Iowa!

Two Happy Hunters!

We had such a good time with Mitch and Robyn in Iowa for Thanksgiving. Robyn and I hardly saw the boys at all. They went Pheasant hunting every day. They were in their GLORY! They just drove around to find a farm that someone would let them hunt on. Lonne saw a guy on a big combine tractor harvesting corn. He just drove up to him and asked if they could hunt in his corn fields as the guy drove the combine and pushed the pheasants out! They ended up being best buddies! Lonne and Mitch are now on a first name basis with the whole family....Warren (the corn man) Mark, (the corn dog) and the grandpa (those are the nicknames Lonne and Mitch gave the guys!) They ended up going to Warren's farm every day and getting way too many pheasants! Robyn has them in her freezer....I bet they'll end up at the homeless shelter! Ha! Actually, I have made soup out of Pheasant and it's rather good!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner. Everything turned out perfect, and it was such a relaxing day! I't definitely different cooking for six instead of 40 like we usually do! Kim and Jason Stoddard came over and spent a few hours with us. It was so fun to have some time with them! Kim and Mitch have been friends since High School, and she has always been a favorite at our house! We also went over to Cody Johnson's house for a while on Thanksgiving night because Deb, Jim, Chase, and Kindra and her family were there visiting Cody, too. We laughed that we had to go clear to Iowa to visit with the Johnsons! It's so ironic that Mitch and Cody ended up at the same school! He and Chase have been best friends since second grade, and the Johnsons are Mitch's second family. I'm sure Mitch and Cody will have a lot of fun hunting in their spare time out there...if there is any spare time! They are both so busy in dental school, studying constantly! We were so sad to call home and hear that our little grand kids were all throwing up, so Gretchen and Dave didn't have a very fun Thanksgiving! Lexie spent it up in Orem with the Partridge family. I'm sure she is having a great time! I missed my kids, but was so glad to be with at least two of them...Thank you Mitch and Robyn for a fun week....I will have to admit, the weather at home is LOTS warmer than out there, but we LOVED every minute, and we miss you already! I was proud of myself for not crying when we got dropped off at the airport...that's a first for me!! It might be because they will be home in less than 3 weeks for Christmas!! Yay!!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you had a fun Thanksgiving! Reminds me of when Kenny and I lived in VA and my parents would come and visit. We looked forward to it so much and hated it when they left. I'm sure Mitch and Robyn loved having you there. Now Christmas is right around the corner! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good trip! I am glad you had fun and that you got home safely!!

Melanie Spendlove said...

Dinner looks fabulous! And, it looks like everyone had a wonderful time. Glad Lonne and Mitch could get in some hunting while you were there.....also, glad you're home safe and sound! Christmas will be here before you know it! :)

photography by Mikki said...

Your kids are so lucky to have such awesome parents! That dinner looks amazing! Fun to visit all those awesome friends out there too- You guys have such a beautiful fam!